Vitamin C: What is it?
Let’s face it. Acne is a skin condition that affects many people each day. It causes irritated skin, swollen pores, and painful bumps. But did you know that there may be a correlation between your vitamin C intake and acne breakouts? There are many causes of acne, including your immune system, allergies, and hormone balance, to name a few. But data shows that a deficiency of vital nutrients can be a major cause of skin issues, including acne.
But what is Vitamin C, exactly? A brief answer is that it’s a powerful antioxidant found in various foods and supplements known to boost immune systems, aid in skin regeneration, and promote healing. It also plays a critical role in increasing collagen production. This collagen production vitamin C provides is also known to relieve cystic acne symptoms and gives the skin ample time to heal.
And because your body doesn’t naturally produce its own vitamin C, you must acquire it through the foods you eat. Vitamin C is found in various fruits and vegetables such as berries, citrus, tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, and more. It’s also possible to get vitamin C in supplemental form. Still, most experts agree that its benefits are minimal compared to an actual steady diet of foods that feature vitamin C.
The Relation Between Vitamin C and Acne
So, now that we know more about what vitamin C is, let’s discuss how it can relate to those that suffer from different forms of acne:
- Acne is caused by a wide range of underlying conditions. Vitamin C can increase the flow of antioxidants to specific areas, reducing inflammation and overall irritation. By reducing free radicals, your body can repair damaged and inflamed tissue.
- Vitamin C is known to increase collagen production, a protein found in your bones, blood vessels, muscles, and skin. As we age, collagen production weakens. But vitamin c promotes collagen synthesis, promoting skin regeneration and healing scar tissue. This is one of the most significant reasons why vitamin C helps treat cystic acne.
- Vitamin C naturally reduces inflammation, reducing redness, swelling, and the pain that occurs with acne breakouts. It’s also known for ensuring that your skin is adequately moisturized.
- Ensuring that your body has enough vitamin C can disrupt melanin production, resulting in brighter skin, reduced hyperpigmentation, and a smoother complexion.
Does Vitamin C Treat Acne?
Unfortunately, vitamin C isn’t a catch-all medical wunderkind that can stop the different forms of acne in their tracks. However, maintaining an adequate supply of vitamin C is known to have excellent preventative and restoring effects. So, while it may not be a complete acne treatment, you still want to maintain a healthy diet full of the necessary vitamins and nutrients to reduce the occurrence of breakouts.
Vitamin C can:
- Reduce acne-related inflammation for most types of acne
- Improve the appearance of scars, including those from acne
- Reduce hyperpigmentation
- Improve healing time
The caveat to maintaining proper vitamin C levels is that it’s not something that can be ‘cheated’ with a supplement. Despite being useful for topical applications, there is no data to show that supplemental vitamin C effectively improves immune systems or reduces acne levels. Vitamin C works best when it’s built up naturally through a varied and nutrient-rich diet.
Foods Abundant in Vitamin C
We’ve talked about how developing healthy levels of vitamin C is a process that requires a healthy, varied diet full of fruits and vegetables. So, what are some of the most vitamin-rich foods?
- Bell Peppers
- Citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruits, lemons, and limes)
- Leafy greens such as spinach, cabbage, and chard
And though we know that supplements aren’t nearly as effective as the tried-and-true methods, they can be purchased through local retail establishments and nutrition stores.
Other Benefits of Vitamin C
In addition to the previously mentioned advantages, maintaining healthy vitamin C levels has a whole host of benefits. These include:
• Reduction of chronic diseases
Antioxidants are molecules that serve to strengthen your body’s natural immune defenses. They protect cells from harmful molecules known as free radicals. These free radicals can promote the formation of many chronic diseases.
• Reduction in high blood pressure
Studies show that vitamin C can help lower blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels that carry blood from the heart.
• Boosts Immunity
Vitamin C encourages the production of white blood cells that help the body stave off infection. It can also help white blood cells function more effectively while protecting them from harm from free radicals.
• Hydrates the skin
Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, a mineral found in vitamin C, is known to have hydrating effects on the skin. It can reduce epidermal water loss, allowing your skin to retain moisture for longer.
Struggling with Severe Acne? Winston Salem Dermatology is Your Skincare Solution
If you suffer from one of the many forms of acne, you can rest assured that you’re not alone. It’s a prevalent condition that affects millions daily, and there are many methods of fighting back!
And that’s where Winston Salem Dermatology comes in! With years of experience in diagnosing and treating a wide range of skin conditions, we are your one-stop skincare solution! From severe acne to eczema and everything in between, we have the skills and experience to help.
In addition to our wide range of medical treatments, we offer an extensive array of cosmetic procedures to ensure that you always look your best. We offer IPL therapy, chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and much more! So, if you want to improve your overall skin or simply have a desire to regain your youthful glow, we’re the leading experts with real solutions. So give us a call today at (336) 774-8636 and let our team of specialists help you!