Skin Care for Teens
Taking care of your skin as a teenager is important, no matter if you’re keeping acne under control or trying to maintain your natural, youthful glow. But as a typical teenager, you’re probably always busy! The last thing you need to do is follow a long, complicated skin care regimen. With our skin care routines and solutions, taking care of the health and beauty of your skin won’t waste any of your time.
Acne – A Common Problem for Most Teens
There are three factors that can cause acne: hair follicles being blocked or plugged, the overproduction of oil by enlarged oil glands that have attached to the hair follicles, and bacteria within the hair follicles.
Acne is a common skin condition that consists of pimples, deeper bumps such as cysts, and plugged pores such as blackheads. They often occur on the face, neck, chest, back, shoulders, and sometimes even your upper arms. While acne most often starts when puberty hits, it can occur at any age and within any sex. But thanks to scientific advancements, there are new therapies and treatment options to help teenagers who are struggling with acne.
There are more than 40% of adolescents who experience acne or acne scarring by their mid-teens, which does in turn require treatment from a dermatologist. In order to prevent scarring, it’s crucial that you do not pop, squeeze, or pick at your acne.
To help prevent your acne from worsening, gently wash the affected area twice daily with gentle soap and warm water. Avoid scrubbing the area vigorously as it can irritate your skin and worsen your condition. You should also try to only use products that are labeled non-comedogenic and oil-free.
Book your Consultation with Janet today! Call ☎ (336) 774-8636
Sweating in Teens
Extreme sweating, which is also known as Hyperhidrosis, can be extremely devastating for any teenager or adult. There are several treatment options, including those that have been recently discovered or reinvented, to help gain control over this condition. Contact us today at Winston Salem Dermatology to find the perfect solution for you.
Laser Hair Removal for Teens
Having normal variations in both facial and body hair may also be a common concern for teens. If you have unwanted hair and are looking for the best way to get rid of it, we have specialists here at Winston Salem Dermatology who can help.
We know how hard it can be for a teenager to experience skin problems, especially at such an early age. At Winston Salem Dermatology, we offer advanced dermatology treatments for teens that can help treat and cure these conditions.
- Stretch Marks – As you go through growth spurts, the possibility of stretch marks increases. While there are prescription medications that will help reduce the appearance and overall severity of stretch marks, there are also laser technologies available. While your ethnicity may play a role in how severe your stretch marks appear, these treatment options will help you in every way possible.
- Eczema – Eczema is a skin condition that can affect both teens and adults, but most teens who suffer from this can expect a dramatic improvement with our treatment options. The overall goal for treating Eczema is to restore the affected area to its healthiest state. During a flare, prescription products can reduce the itch, calm the rash, and clear any infection but with our treatments, it can prevent future flares.
- Moles – Moles often occur in teens who have a family history of moles and are constantly exposed to the sunlight. Families with Dysplastic Nevus Syndrome, which includes irregularly shaped and sized moles, have increased changes of Melanoma. If you have an increased number of moles, new moles, or changing moles, you should have a full body skin examination.
- Warts – Warts are another common skin condition among children and adults. They are caused by a virus and if left untreated, can become quite stubborn to deal with. While some patients may only have one or two warts to treat, others may have multiple. There are several treatment options including topical medications and cryotherapy, which is a freezing technique, that can reduce the appearance of warts. Typically, patients will only be required to be seen twice to ensure the warts are completely gone; however, this will depend on how deep the roots are.
- Molluscum – This skin condition consists of tiny bumps that mimic warts, but they aren’t actually warts. They are caused by a virus and are contagious. These bumps often occur on parts of the body that touch the skin of other kids, such as the hands or the arms. As teens transition into adults, these bumps can become known as a STD since they can appear in the pelvic area. Treatment options for Molluscum include cryotherapy (freezing techniques), curettage (scraping), cantharidin (beetle juice), and topical prescription creams.
- Fungal Infections – Athlete’s Foot, also known as Tinea Pedis and Ring Worm, which is also known as Tinea Corporis, are common fungal infections. These infections are so common that you can get them by simply stepping into a gym shower, getting a pedicure, or simply walking along the sandy beach. Fungal infections can be treated with prescription creams and proper care regimens to ensure they do not become a recurrent issue.
Teenage Skin Care Tips
To get through your teenage years without experiencing several skin conditions seems impossible to do. And while we know how busy teenagers are and how difficult it can be to follow a daily skin care regimen, we have a few tips to help out with that! The skin advice we’ve listed below can help you keep your complexion healthy, fresh and youthful.
- Wash your makeup off before going to bed.
- Cleanse your skin carefully.
- Get the right products for your acne.
- Always, always, always exfoliate.
- Don’t share makeup or brushes with anyone.
- Avoid tanning beds.
- Wear sunscreen when exposed to sunlight.
- Above all – consult with a doctor!
Why You Should Partner with Winston Salem Dermatology?
While making sure you look your best as a teen is important, it isn’t a teenager’s top priority. Here at Winston Salem Dermatology, our goal is to help you find the perfect skin care treatment and regimen for your condition that will allow you to focus your attention back to what matters most! If you would like more information on our skin care treatments and our specialists, feel free to reach out to us at +1 (336) 774-8636.