Getting to Know Your Nasolabial Folds
Does the person in the mirror appear different to you these days? Do you find yourself trying to look past wrinkled and sagging skin? If this sounds familiar, perhaps you would benefit from knowing the causes of sagging skin and the many treatments available.
One of the most common wrinkles people experience is in their nasolabial fold. These are the lines that form at the edge of your nose and run to the corners of your mouth. Everyone, except newborn babies, have these ‘smile lines’. However, no one wants to live without the two main causes of nasolabial lines: smiling and talking. What a sad, boring world we would live in without them! Nasolabial folds and wrinkles can be minimized by utilizing available cosmetic dermatology treatments.
What Worsens Nose to Mouth Folds?
While obvious nasolabial folds are not desirable, they are completely natural. We mentioned earlier that everyone experiences them. As we age, they often deepen. This is because the collagen and elastin in our skin naturally break down with time. The continual pulling caused by gravity increases wrinkles. Neither time nor gravity are preventable. However, there are some causes that are preventable:
- Excess sun exposure is the root cause of a plethora of skin issues. UV light damages skin and weakens it, making the skin more likely to sag. This sagging exacerbates the depth of nasolabial folds.
- Smoking is another major contributor to deepened nose and mouth lines. The chemicals found in cigarettes and related smoking products break down elastin and collagen. This is one of the leading causes of facial sagging.
- Drastic weight changes are not something we can always control, but gaining or losing a large amount of weight in a short period of time can worsen these lines. Losing excessive weight leaves the skin stretched out and saggy, while gaining excess weight plumps up the cheeks and puts more pressure on the existing lines.
Cosmetic Dermatology Treatments for Nose to Mouth Lines
If you already have deep nose-to-mouth wrinkles and want to minimize their appearance, there are several procedures you can undergo. There are both surgical and non-surgical options, as well as a combination of more traditional wrinkle treatments and new forms of cosmetic dermatology.
1. Dermal fillers
One of the most popular options at Winston Salem Dermatology is dermal fillers. This is a fairly common non-surgical procedure. These fillers work instantly and provide dramatic results. Another benefit which makes dermal fillers popular is the lack of aftercare required. You can return to your normal activities quickly after the procedure.
2. Skin resurfacing treatments
While skin resurfacing might sound invasive and intimidating, it is not. Skin resurfacing is done by lasers or chemical peels and is a well-established wrinkle treatment. This process makes your skin appear more youthful and rejuvenated overall. Resurfacing decreases the depth and prominence of laugh lines and nasolabial folds.
3. Surgical removal
There are some surgical wrinkles treatments. Surgical removal is the most common surgical process used in cosmetic skin care to treat wrinkles and nasolabial folds. In this process, a needle is used to make small punctures in the skin surrounding the nasolabial folds. These punctures release the skin from the underlying layers and trigger the natural healing process. The process results in increased collagen and elastin production, giving you younger-looking, wrinkle-free skin.
4. Fat transfer
A fat transfer is similar to dermal filters, except that this form of cosmetic dermatology uses your own refined fat to plump up the nasolabial fold area. Fat is removed from your stomach or thighs, refined and purified in a lab setting, and then injected into the skin surrounding your nasolabial folds.
Microneedling is an up-and-coming wrinkle treatment. Similar to the surgical option, it uses the body’s natural healing process to rejuvenate your skin. During the microneedling process, your skin will be punctured to create tiny channels that trigger new tissue formation. This causes your body to produce more elastin and collagen, as well as to repair hyperpigmentation, making the skin on your face appear more youthful. That, in turn, reduces the look of your nasolabial folds.
Try Facial Exercises
If cosmetic dermatology wrinkle treatments don’t interest you, there is another option. You can try facial exercise to prevent sagging and wrinkle formation. However, it is important to note that, while these processes are assumed to help, there is no scientific data proving that these decrease nasolabial fold wrinkles.
Here are four of the most common exercises you can do to potentially decrease the appearance of nose to mouth lines and wrinkles:
- Pucker your lips in a kissing motion. Hold this position for fifteen to twenty seconds, then release. You should repeat this exercise five times per session.
- Configure your face in a pouting motion. After you have your best pouty face on, take your fingers and pull the corners of your mouth backward. Hold this position for fifteen seconds. You should repeat this process four or five times per session.
- Open your mouth slightly, so that your lips are barely parted. Take your fingers and pull the corners of your mouth backward. You should hold this for roughly three seconds before releasing. Repeat this exercise anywhere from twenty-five to fifty times.
- Lightly cover your mouth with your hand and puff up your cheeks with air. Transfer the air from one cheek to the other, holding it on each side for five to ten seconds at a time. Repeat this entire process three to five times per session.
Prevention is the Best Wrinkle Treatment
While we specialize in wrinkles treatment at Winston Salem Dermatology, there are some preventative steps you can take. Remember, everyone has nasolabial lines, but you do not have to end up with sagging or wrinkled skin. Here are some of the best ways to prevent deep nose to mouth wrinkles:
1. Use Sun Protection
Sun damage is one of the number one causes of dermatological issues. Using proper sun protection now will help you avoid countless skin problems down the road. This means that you should wear a hat and sunscreen and stay out of direct sunlight for long periods of time.
2. Stop Smoking
We all know that smoking is bad for your overall health, but it is especially bad for your skin health. The chemicals released when you smoke break down important substances, like collagen and elastin, that keep your skin looking youthful.
3. Keep Your Skin Hydrated
Dry skin is unhappy skin. Keep your skin moisturized with noncomedogenic moisturizers and sustain skin hydration by drinking lots of water. Moisturized skin appears younger for long periods of time.
4. Get Some Extra Sleep
Sleep is necessary for every bodily system, your skin included. Make sure you are getting enough sleep for your age range to keep your body and your skin healthy.
5. Sleep On Your Back
If you are a habitual side sleeper, it might be time to change how you lie down. Sleeping on your back puts less stress on your skin. Less stress means fewer wrinkles in the long run.
Make Your Smile Wrinkle Free with Winston Salem Dermatology
Winston Salem Dermatology wants you to have the skin you deserve. Our procedures and wrinkle treatment costs are affordable, and we work with you to get the results you want. Our team of dermatologists are skilled and renowned. With decades of experience, they will decrease your nasolabial fold lines and wrinkles. Call Winston Salem Dermatology today at (336) 774-8636 to see which treatments are best for you!