There are millions of dollars spent each year by people across the world who seek out the perfect anti-aging solution. And more times than not, the creams and ointments can’t deliver what they promise you. But with cosmetic injections such as Botox, people finally have the perfect opportunity to look just as they did during their younger years.
Where Botox Began
Where Botox came from is actually quite funny – it’s derived from a bacterium. Given its ability to freeze your muscles, it was first developed as a treatment for muscle spasms. There were several patients who also found it to be helpful with their eye spasms. But soon enough, it became evident that Botox could be used to reduce fine lines in the facial area and crow’s feet. It has since been redeveloped to treat more advanced skin conditions.
The Many Benefits of Botox Treatments
Though it was first used to treat muscle spasms, Botox is now utilized for a variety of useful purposes. In addition to restoring the youthful features of most patients, the other ways this procedure can be used include those we’ve listed below.
- Wrinkles – Of course, before we can get into the many benefits of Botox, we have to start with the most obvious. This FDA-approved treatment option is chosen by many for its ability to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, particularly on the face. Smile lines and areas around the eyes can be addressed with the Botox treatment option and if administered correctly, it can keep the surrounding muscles nice and perky, reducing wrinkles and fine lines.
- Migraines – One of the lesser known benefits of Botox is its ability to help those who suffer from severe migraines. The best part of opting for this treatment is that it doesn’t require any type of medication. Though how Botox helps to relieve migraines is still unknown, there are some medical experts who believe it has to do a blockage of the sensory nerves that send those painful messages to the brain.
- Excessive Sweat – Whether you suffer from sweaty palms, sweaty brow lines, sweaty armpits, or sweat all over, Botox could be the solution for you. Hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating, can bring on a tremendous amount of stress in your life. And surprisingly, it has been found that even after one Botox treatment, your sweat issues could disappear for months at a time.
- Bells Palsy – Bells Palsy often results from trauma or damage caused to the nerves in your face. It can lead to the weakening of the surrounding muscles, also causing one half of your face to droop. Botox can be applied to either side of the face, allowing those particular muscles to relax and create a balance. Though Bells Palsy will need some time to go away completely, Botox can help to take the edge off.
- Enlarged Prostate – While some men may prefer to not speak about the issue, studies have shown that Botox can provide much relief to men who suffer from enlarged prostates. By having it injected into the prostate gland, there are some men who can benefit from relief that lasts up to a year.
- Incontinence – Botox can also provide relief to people who suffer from incontinence, or the leakage of urine from an overactive bladder. If you’ve ever experienced the stress and discomfort from sudden urges to urinate, you’ll understand how this treatment option is chosen by many.
- Muscle Stiffness & Twitching – If you suffer from upper limb spasticity, you can also benefit from the Botox treatment. It has also been beneficial for those who are faced with lower limb spasticity. And of course, it can also help those who experience eye twitches or spasms.
- Affordability – In addition to how it can help your physical dilemma, you may also be curious as to how much this treatment may cost. These injections can cost you anywhere from $170 to $350, depending on the severity of your condition. These numbers make Botox one of the more affordable treatment options offered today.
- Speed – It’s almost unbelievable to know that you could find the perfect solution to your condition within your lunch break. But with Botox, it’s more than possible. This treatment style is quick and easy and the results often appear fairly quickly after being administered.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Botox Treatments
What should I expect during Botox?
Botox treatments are in-office procedures that can be completed within a matter of minutes. You can even use your lunch break at work for your Botox injection! They consist of very fine needles that are inserted into the facial muscles, so you can expect very little to no discomfort.
Do I qualify for Botox?
The typical age range for Botox patients is between 18 and 65. If you are between these ages, you should seek advice from your dermatologist regarding treatment options. The best candidates for cosmetic Botox are usually women and men who suffer from facial lines and wrinkles, typically between the eyes and along the forehead. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should not get Botox.
Are there certain steps I should take after my injection?
After getting Botox, you can expect a recovery period of around 48 hours to give yourself enough rest and relaxation. It is possible that you may experience some bruising or headaches after receiving your treatment. You should avoid rubbing or touching your face in the areas that have been treated and do not lie down for several hours after the injections. For ultimate results, you’ll need to return after around 6 months for another treatment.
Seek Out Winston Salem Dermatology for Your Botox Needs
No matter what may have caused you to seek out information regarding Botox, we can help you with most any condition here at Winston Salem Dermatology. We pride ourselves with caring for both our patient’s skin and their overall health. So, give us a call today at (336) 774-8636 to speak with one of our dermatologists about the perfect solution for all your skin needs.